Feb 20, 2008

My Jamaician Adventure

Monday we pulled in Jamaicia Mon. :) The weather didn't look very promising, very cloudy. In fact while we were walking down the plank thing we got poured on. It rained for a little while, but a warm rain. Then we found our tour guide, Phil, boy was he a talker. So proud of his country and all the flowers and plants. We learned lots we didn't want to know or could even remember. He was super nice though!!! He drove us into Ocho Rios (Eight Rivers) and we went to the famous Dunn River Falls.



It was scary looking but we all conquered it without anyone getting seriously injured, one guy lost a toenail, but that was pretty much it. We actually climbed up the water falls. I didn't think I'd be able to do it when I saw it.

We all did a great job though. They actually stopped quite a bit, as we waited for those in front of us to go. There were some spots that were scarier than others, and we stepped in a lot of holes, and lots of slippery rocks. Thanks goodness for our water shoes. It was great!! I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!!



After climbing the Falls Phil took us to a nice little off the road type place to eat.

We had real Jamacian food, all kind of different meats, and fried bread, and well it was delicious. And some Jamaician rum, that was really strong.






After we left the Falls, Phil drove us into a not so nice part of Jamaicia and I was a little bit nervous. Especially when he stopped because of people blocking the road. I've seen way too many movies and could just see the guys coming out with machine guns and killing us all or kidnapping the Americans. My imagination ran a little wild. :) But all was good as he took us to another part of Dunn River to go tubing down it. That was a lot of fun too.



I of course was the only one that flipped over in my tube after I ran into a big rock. Luckily I was right by the edge and grapped a tree root to stop, then out of no where this man jumps in and saves, regular day Robin Hood. He helped me get my tube back and got on it, and I contiued down the river where everyone had left me. :) They couldn't help it, the current had taken them away.




So then we got out for a bit, and jumped off a cliff into the water, right where the guy had jumped in to save me. I can't believe that my Dad actually jumped off the ledge too, I was so proud of him, and worried about his back. But he did great, and wasn't sore at all. Here we all are after we jumped in:



We finished up in Jamaicia with a little shopping before we got back on the ship. I bought a few souviniers for the boys and that was about it.

1 comment:

Beth said...

sorry i haven't been to your blog in a while Marti! but this post about Jamaica made me remember the time i went and how I lived on Jerk chicken. wow i could go for some of that again.