Jun 16, 2008

Father's Day!!!

Yesterday was Father's Day and it was a hard day. Not only do I not get to see my Dad on that special day this year, but my boys didn't get to spend it with thier Daddy either. Add to that it was Bruce's first Father's Day he couldn't pick up the phone to wish his dad a Happy Father's day and to be so far away from all of us who love him so much. It was a rough day on him I'm sure, not that he would ever let us hear it in his voice. We did get to talk to him twice yesterday which was nice and he sounded in good spirits. We had a great service at church yesterday, totally dedicated to our Dad's. It was very emotional for me and for a lot of people there. DJ had a rough time for a little bit but he got through it. Adam and Jack did just fine, which I'm happy for that and sort of sad. It's totally true the old saying "Out of sight out of mind" I'm not saying we don't think about Bruce all the time and we don't miss him everyday, because there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him or mention him to the boys. But I think for the boys it is just a coping mechanism. It really hit me though when Adam, who believe it or not is the one that has the least emotion when it comes to talking about Daddy brought home his gift from school to send to Bruce. It was a poem that he wrote and in it he says his favorite thing about his Dad is that he only has to be in the Army for 5 more years and then he gets to stay home with him. It broke my heart and made me realize that he is effected a lot by Bruce being gone even if he doesn't show it. I just wanted to wish all the Dad's in my life a very Happy Father's Day and I love you all.

Here is a pic of Bruce that he sent me of him and some local children at a opening ceremony of a youth center for them:


No comments: